Cleaning out the produce drawer this soup is so delicious and makes everything better.
Hearty, warming, and just what the doctor ordered!
- 2 tblsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped small
- 1 15 -ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 cup barley or any other grain
- 1 leek, green part removed and white parts thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 small red potatoes, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- Approximately 6 cups of any combination of seasonal fresh vegetables: zucchini, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, yellow squash, green beans ( favorites is garnet yams, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and zucchini)
- Sea salt and fresh pepper
- Any fresh herbs you want ( dill, thyme, marjoram, etc.), chopped
This recipe is one of my favorites from Karma Chow.